Monday, February 9, 2009

St. Andrews Chapel on the quad from a different angle- apparently Catholics once used cannons in that tower to fire on Protestants taking refuge over in the Castle during the Reformation (Museum visit was clearly very informative).
Another view of the chapel!

I'm fairly certain that the second window up in the middle is my window- out of which I can see the North Sea and a little part of the Castle!
I took this picture (probably illegally) at the museum because I thought it was hysterical. In case it's hard to read, it's from 1544, and it says: "we will not have any woman set foot in our place, save the common laundress, who must be fifty years at least..." hahaha.

The rugby match! There's a man dressed as a Welsh dragon prepped and ready to fight with...
...this little, kilt-wearing Scottish boy! There were tons of bagpipers there, but he was by far the cutest one.
Murray Field! Those are Scottish flags down on the field.
And the bagpipers who played the Anthem- which was extraordinary to hear, the whole stadium sang along. So, before next time, Cristina and I are going to learn the words so we can join in. It's pretty much all about killing the English...
Fish and Chips! Looks a little gross, but tasted good. And APPARENTLY, America does NOT have the copyright on frying... they fry Mars Bars and pizza here??? And, at the place we got the food, the actual burgers were fried, too. So strange...
AND THEN WE HUNG OUT WITH THE SCOTTISH RUGBY TEAM!!!!!
.......................................just kidding--- they were the very nice, informative, and fun people we went to the game with, who all happened to be wearing the jerseys. So we plotted to fool all of you with some pictures.
Snowy streets of Edinburgh!
I took a few pictures of the countryside out the bus window, which absolutely don't do the landscape justice at all, but here are a couple anyway.
I literally only took this picture because... ... it reminded me of a cloudier and uglier-because-it's-through-a-bus-window version of this:
Hahaha. oh, Jane Austen. Clearly I need to stop letting her books have such influence over my life... or maybe not :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Alisan!
    Your mom has shared your recent email describing your first views of Scotland. What an adventure! I'm excited to be able to live vicariously through you in beautiful Scotland. My sister travels extensively and considers that country as one of the best. So enjoy, work hard, but experience as much as you can. I can't wait to see more pictures! [I have a blog for coursework: http://www.mrsdsblog2006.blogspot.com ]That's me following your blog...Mrs. Dulak

    ReplyDelete